Put Us To Work For You!
USA: 261 N. University Drive, Suite 500-13, Plantation, FL 33324

JAMAICA: 34 Annette Crescent #206, Kingston 10
876-969-9666 or 925-0949


We live in a highly mobile society. Very few of us live our entire lives in the same community anymore. While this ability to expand our education, career prospects, and life experiences can be seen as progress, it can be painful when a parent wants to relocate with a minor child, leaving the other parent behind.

Relocation is one of the most emotionally difficult issues in Florida family law. Parents with primary custody may need to move for a variety of legitimate reasons, including remarriage, a beneficial job opportunity, or military transfer. When this happens, however, they must receive approval from the other parent or the court if they want to move over 50 miles away.

Whether you are the parent seeking to relocate or the parent worried about how the move will affect your relationship with your child, Dahlia A. Walker-Huntington will provide you with experienced counsel and advise you on how the state relocation law will apply in your situation.

How does relocation work in Florida?

In Florida, parents wishing to relocate with their child to a new residence over 50 miles away have two options:

  • Enter into a written agreement that includes consent for the move from the other parent, information about the visitation rights of all involved, and if necessary, details about transportation arrangements and expenses.
  • If a written agreement is not possible, the parent seeking to relocate must provide written notice to the other parent. If the latter does not object, the court will issue an order permitting the move. If they do oppose the relocation, the court will determine whether the move is in the best interests of the child.

Attorney Dahlia A. Walker-Huntington understands that this is a difficult situation for you and your child. Although she always strives to resolve sensitive family matters out of court, there may be times when litigation becomes necessary. If this happens in your case, she will counsel and support you until the case is resolved.

Preserving the parent-child connection

No matter what your relocation challenges may be, the Law Offices of Dahlia A. Walker, PA will work closely and diligently with you to develop a realistic solution that preserves your connection to your children. To learn more about how we can help, contact Dahlia A. Walker-Huntington at 954-963-8555.